Wednesday, April 14, 2010

V-Day?


24 WEEKS!! To many women this is a very exciting day, they call it V-Day. This stands for viability day, meaning that the baby could now survive should she be born in an emergency situation… BUT for me, even though I work in a hospital with a level 3 NICU and work with some of the best Neonatologists in Ohio I will not feel any better until 26 weeks. The real relief will kick in at 35/36 weeks for me because that will be basically “full term”. The preterm survival statistics are as follows:
at 23 weeks: 10-35% survival rate
at 24 weeks: 40-70% survival rate
at 25 weeks: 50-80% survival rate
at 26 weeks: 80-90% survival rate
at 27 weeks: greater than 90% survival rate

Little girl seems pretty comfy in there so I don’t expect this to be an issue, but I feel like it was important to know the facts. I have witnessed many small babies fighting for life in our NICU and I have seen their parents standing by their side. It is not something anyone wants to go through and of course we never plan on having a preemie, that is why it is so vital to know the risks, warning signs and when to get help from medical professionals. I recommend checking out the March of Dimes website for more information.

No comments: